Monday 17 September 2012

Another week in...stickers, scissors and a million emotions

Happy International Polar week Everybody!

What a week, sometimes it feels like you are getting nowhere when fundraising for an expedition and a cause of this magnitude- and then someone or something inspirational makes me believe it is possible again.  I am reflecting on all that has happened in the space of one week, my proposal is finally ready to go (after being proofread by many many brilliant friends) I have been busy talking to potential supporters, charities, Educate Together, nursery suppliers (I have a plan to get 2041 trees donated to my mini ambassador programme for school children!).... and I spent my Saturday night this weekend cutting out little sticky labels for DVDs of last years expedition for sending out to sponsors also.... the upside of spending this time doing my best Blue Peter impressions with stickers and scissors was that I got to watch this wonderful expedition again and again, and it is clear that I have no choice but to make it. Protecting the polar regions is simply a necessity in my mind.


I am incredibly happy to announce that this week my college Kimmage Development Studies Centre became my first official supporter.  I am deeply touched by their generosity and support.  My learning experience at KDSC was definitely one of the reasons I applied for this Antarctic Youth Ambassador Programme and most certainly one of the reasons I was accepted.  I am looking forward to working with and for KDSC over the next months. I would like to send out a massive thank you to all the wonderful, dedicated and inspiring staff at this great institution.


I always remember when I was in 5th class in Raphoe Central National School, my principal Mrs. Millar's son Alan had been away climbing in the Himalaya and he came into school to give us a talk about his experiences. I remember being completely transfixed by his epic adventure and it inspired me so much to go out and see the world, and to care.  To have this amazing opportunity to go to Antarctica will be a life changer, not only for me, but for anyone and everyone that will listen when I get back. If I can inspire even one young person by my story in the same way I was inspired back in 1990, to be curious and to find out more about out polar regions and how to protect them I would be happy.

Till next time,
Eimear

http://www.gofundme.com/17a1ww?pc=fb_cr

http://www.kimmagedsc.ie/


No comments:

Post a Comment